Baked Avocado with Egg, Basil & Parmesan
It’s been fun to play around with June’s herb of the month, basil. Though we recommend the use of Holy basil for it’s excellent adaptogenic benefits, it’s more common cousins offer multiple health-boosting properties as well.
The basil family has been known to lower cholesterol and boost the immune system. Most interestingly, basil has antibacterial properties, which when consumed makes it a great protector against food-borne illnesses. Last but not least, it’s just plain yummy.
In this recipe I’ve paired basil with a popular accompaniment: Parmesan cheese. Your boring breakfast eggs will think they’ve died and gone to heaven, let me tell you. My husband claimed this was his new favorite way to eat eggs. Because they are baked in the avocado they turn out exceptionally moist, similar to a poached egg. And the buttery nature of the avocado countered the bitterness of the egg yoke making this an exceptional pairing.
You might be surprised to know that the oddly shaped fruit, avocado, is actually considered a super food. It’s been known to lower cholesterol, just like basil, and is high in fiber, potassium and antioxidants.
And before you are tempted to dismiss the avocado due to it’s high fat content, it might interest you to know that this fat is of the monounsaturated variety, a healthy, desirous fat that actually contributes significantly to better heart health and helps to minimize inflammation in the body.
Put together, this is an EGG-cellent (ok, bad pun) recipe for breakfast to get your day started on a good note, or later in the day for a satisfying lunch. I served these baked avocados with homemade black beans but due to the rich nature of this meal you may want to consider serving with a fresh tomato relish or homemade salsa! Delish!
Random fact: Did you know that basil is considered to be part of the mint family? Who knew?!
- 2 ripe avocados, halved with pits removed
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (any variety), julienned
- pinch kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 425F.
- 2. Using a melon baller, scoop out enough avocado flesh to make room for the egg.
- 3. Crack an egg into the center of the avocado.
- 4. Place avocados in a 9x9 pan (or even on a muffin pan, to keep them in position) and place into the oven.
- 5. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until eggs are cooked to desired consistency. Turn oven off.
- 6. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and return to oven for 2-3 minutes, or until cheese is fully browned.
- 7. Sprinkle with basil and kosher salt. Enjoy!